Posted on 01/08/2017
Rocky Relationship – Part II
This is the flip side of rocky relationship — do you have a rocky relationship with your child/children?
If you don’t have a spouse or someone who can legally speak for you, your children are your next of kin.
While everything is going well and you are still able to make good sound decisions for yourself, now is the time to get your estate in order.
Just to get the ball rolling, here are a few things to think about:
- Who do you want to make decisions for you if you are not able to make them for yourself?
- A.) Who would you like to handle your financial affairs?
- B.). Who would you like to handle your medical affairs?
- In an emergency, do you want to be resuscitated?
- Do you have things that you are passing down and want to go to certain people?
- Other than your current residence, do you have other property? Are there other owners? What’s your plan, pass it down or sell?
- Are you still married? There are numerous reasons why–healthcare but you need to factor this in when you make your plans
- Are you planning to stay in your current residence? Thinking about downsizing? Moving back to your hometown or closer to family/friends?
- Are you passing down your estate or are you giving it to your favorite school/church?
I know you don’t want to think about your own funeral but your input is greatly appreciated. Here are some things to think about:
- Would you like to be buried or cremated?
- Is your funeral pre-paid? If it is, call and make sure the funeral home still has all the paperwork. I heard of a couple of hiccups happening.
- If not, do you have a particular funeral home you would like to handle your arrangements? You can always make an appointment, go and have everything arranged so you know that your insurance will cover everything. Plus it will be yo your liking and not someone else that deciding in a rush.
- Does your family have a Family gravesite?
- If not, where would you like to be buried?
- Would you like to be close or near to a certain person or people at the cemetery?
- Church service? Memorial service? Celebration? Any special instructions.
- Do you have a favorite bible verse, song or quote that you would like to include?
- Is there someone that must speak at your service?
These are just a few things to help you get start with your framework. A question, sparks another question and eventually you start to come up with answers.
Just focus on getting started, the rest will fall into place.