Posted on 31/07/2017
Rocky Relationship – Part I
While talking to one of my dad’s church members she mentioned that one of her relatives are having problems with their mom.
Her advice to her was still respect her mom because that’s her mom, just call her and say, ‘Hello Mom, I love you’ and keep it moving.
This may or may not work for you but to keep the line of communication open. You may think why? My reason is, you are probably the first line of defense. If something happens, you will probably get a phone call or several urgent calls. And you will be needed to help figure things out. Maybe something has happened and you haven’t gotten a call yet. Just wait, funny things happen when people get sick.
Calling is not for everyone, here are a few suggestions that might help:
- Send a text (only if you know they text)
- Mail a card or a letter
- Send flowers, gift basket, edible arrangement
- Get them a gift card to their favorite restaurant or store
- If you can, once in a blue moon go visit them in person
They are other things that you can do like:
- Cut grass
- Rake leaves
- Shovel snow
- Take their trash can out to the curb/alley
- Little handy things that you can do out of sight but impactful
They might not notice or say anything immediately but they noticed and took note. What does/will mean? Time will tell, you just know you are doing your part. It’s not easy but hopefully one day you will have a breakthrough.